What's new
Florida sheriff encourages residents to shoot looters breaking into homes

Looking to Get My First LPVO

MustardGas

I’ve always ran Eotech and Aimpoints. Looking to get my first LPVO and can’t decide:
  • Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20mm
  • Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24 FFP

If going Leupold, which reticle. Complete newbie so feel free to explain and be sure to speak in plain English (stay away from acronyms all you quacks from the pond).

Angelofdeath

I went with the VORTEX Razor HD Gen 3 1-10, I did a lot of research and went with it, because of the feature set, weight, reticle, glass and warranty.

SoldierTroy

May I suggest you perhaps consider an entry level LPVO before you shell out the big $$$, to see if you like LPVOs. They take some getting used to.

Key for me has been to put them in a higher mount, I use a 1.93" mount. It helps when using them for non-bench rest shooting, etc.

Knuckles

The Leupold is an excellent optic. The CMR reticle is what you would want. My only tiny complaint about the Leupold is that the FFP reticle gets a little bit for super precise aiming. The lightweight far out measures that complaint though.

I haven’t used the 1-10 Razor but I had the 1-6 and it was a tank but it was so heavy that it had me looking for something else and I settled on the Leupold.

The Kahles k16i is also in that price range and has some of the best glass you can get if you’re okay with the 6x on the top end.

MustardGas

The Leupold is an excellent optic. The CMR reticle is what you would want. My only tiny complaint about the Leupold is that the FFP reticle gets a little bit for super precise aiming. The lightweight far out measures that complaint though.

I haven’t used the 1-10 Razor but I had the 1-6 and it was a tank but it was so heavy that it had me looking for something else and I settled on the Leupold.

The Kahles k16i is also in that price range and has some of the best glass you can get if you’re okay with the 6x on the top end.
I had a friend with the 1-6 and it was a tank. From what I see online the mark 6 is 17oz and the Gen iii is 21oz. It is 4oz but you’re getting an additional 4x and brighter reticle from what I hear.

Knuckles

I had a friend with the 1-6 and it was a tank. From what I see online the mark 6 is 17oz and the Gen iii is 21oz. It is 4oz but you’re getting an additional 4x and brighter reticle from what I hear.
I don’t know that the razor reticle is brighter (comparing the Mark 6 to the older Razor) but you do get the extra mag. Just keep in mind that the field of view is much tighter at 10x than a lot of people were expecting when they first used them. It’s not unusable from what I hear but it’s something to keep in mind too.

JackTheRipper

I don't know about you guys, but each time I buy a magnified optic, it makes my head spin - so many options, and great options at that!