What's new
Florida sheriff encourages residents to shoot looters breaking into homes

Can You Buy Your Way to Greater Accuracy?

JackTheRipper

Yes and No. Read on.

If there is one debate/argument I see raging all the time across the Interwebz it is the debate over "how much is too much" to spend on an AR, with people getting really angry and upset with one another as the conversation gets out of control.

Of course, we don't do that here.

I thought I would take a moment to address the commonly held myth that "the more I spend the better I will shoot" myth.
Read that sentence again, slowly, and you will spot the error.

"The more I spend the better **I** will shoot."

There is where the problem is.

The key to better accuracy is always going to depend on the shooting skill of the guy behind the gun. You can spend $15,000 on the greatest customized AR out there, optics and all and you will not get better results from it than the guy wish decent optics and an AR for which he has paid no more than $1,000 (COVID price).
Why? Because the guy next to you has MASTERED THE FUNDAMENTALS of good rifle shooting, accurate shooting. The semi-automatic rifle is very unforgiving of problems with fundamentals.

BUT....once those fundamentals have been mastered, yes, of course, you can get superior accuracy out of a rifle built with parts intended to facilitate greater accuracy.

• Trigger
  • Barrel
  • Optic
  • Ammo

Yes, a match-grade trigger will facilitate your application of fundamental trigger control.

Barrel, yes a match-grade, 22-24" barrel will make a difference.

Optic: Yes, an optic with great clarity and higher magnification will facilitate longer-range accurate hits on target.

Ammo: Yes, match-grade ammo, say, 77gr Sierra Match King from Black Hills, or Hornady, or, my favorite, Federal...will provide better results.

BUT...none of the parts will do their part, unless you do YOUR PART.

This is where the raging Internet debates always get it so wrong and people end up talking over each other.

As for a "cheap AR" ... I don't really ever know. Is your AR "cheap" to you? To me, when I spend money, nothing is "cheap" for I am giving them my money.
Cheap compared to what?

Let's take concrete examples: A guy may pay $600 for a PSA AR and he gets a decent scope and uses good ammo and will get acceptable results, why? Because he knows how to use it.

I've seen students in our precision rifle classes come out with super high-end ARs in 6.5 Creedmoor with Schmidt&Bender scopes and they can't even zero the thing at 100 yards.

So, for what it is worth, take all this with a grain of salt.

It's the Indian not the arrow.

True life example. Yesterday my son brought his "buget bolt gun" in 6.5 Creedmoor out to a 1000 yard range, he spent $600 on it, including the scope that came mounted on it.

After zeroing it at 100, he took three shots at 1000 yards and hit the target twice at 1000 yards.

With a "budget" rifle, with "budget" scope.

He spent years in the Boy Scouts attending every shooting camp he could and spent a lot of time on the range with his dad learning the fundamentals.