What's new
Florida sheriff encourages residents to shoot looters breaking into homes

Ammunition Conversation!

GunBuyer

What are you guys honest opinion on green tip or 62gr steel core ammo? Unsafe? for PP because it goes through more walls, higher chance of casualty. Is it unnecessary and expensive? paid 60c per round with this. Less accurate compared to 55gr?Maybe best for SHTF scenario?

TheButcher

The standard twist rate in modern M4 Carbines is designed for the 62gr M855 round. In a military context, over penetration is not an issue for them.

I'm not sure I'd use an AR inside a building for defensive purposes as a civilian, or if I did, I may use frangible ammo.
Ammo prices right now are insanely high compared to where they were before the COVID/Civil Unrest/Election Cycle was upon us.

DreamHaunter

The standard twist rate in modern M4 Carbines is designed for the 62gr M855 round. In a military context, over penetration is not an issue for them.

I'm not sure I'd use an AR inside a building for defensive purposes as a civilian, or if I did, I may use frangible ammo.
Ammo prices right now are insanely high compared to where they were before the COVID/Civil Unrest/Election Cycle was upon us.
Point taken. I’ll use my HP 9mm and 45-70 primarily for HD. AR if the situation necessitate it. Having 62gr on my 10rd limit mag might give an edge, of course there is no substitute to good training. It’s good to have for SHTF scenario or if I ran out of 55gr.

foresmore

45-70 is a good big hog stopper, so it'll do well for defensive purposes.
😁

Tearsofjoy

Works better in the standard 1:7 twist barrel. As long as you follow firearm safety rule #4, green tip is badass

LoneAssailant

For indoor perosbal defense I go with a shotgun. For anything beyond 50 yards I'll go with an AR. For anything over 200 yards I'll take my 300WM and make a donut out of them.